- a specific detail in a set of rules or terms belonging to a particular field (noun)
- the resolution died on a technicality
- the defendant was acquitted on a legal technicality
- the state of being technical as in the use of technical terms or methods (noun)
- the judicial system suffered from too much technicality and formality
- It is a tribute to the tribunals that the technicality at the heart of the appellate process in these tribunals can and does coexist with the relative informality in atmosphere and with procedural flexibility.
See definition of technicality in Merriam Webster