- the process or result of becoming smaller or pressed together (noun)
- the contraction of a gas on cooling
- (physiology) a shortening or tensing of a part or organ (especially of a muscle or muscle fiber) (noun)
- muscle contraction
- muscular contraction
- a word formed from two or more words by omitting or combining some sounds (noun)
- `won't' is a contraction of `will not'
- `o'clock' is a contraction of `of the clock'
- the act of decreasing (something) in size or volume or quantity or scope (noun)
See definition of contractions in Merriam Webster